I. The Idea of the Antithesis — The antithesis refers to the separation and opposition between darkness and light, believer and unbeliever, church and world.
A. Look up and meditate on the following verses. How do these verses bring out the truth of the antithesis?
- Amos 3:3
- Ephesians 5:11
- James 1:27
- I Cor. 5:9-11
- I John 2:14-17 (which applies to young women as well).
B. One of the clearest passages in Scripture that refers to the antithesis is II Corinthians 6:14-18.
- Is it possible to be neutral? That is, not to be “righteous” or “unrighteous”? Not to be “light” or “darkness”?
- Vs. 17 states “Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate.” What kind of separation is being referred to here? Why is this separation necessary?
- What will happen in our lives if we are unequally yoked together with unbelievers?
II. Living the Antithesis — In light of the above Scripture passages, let’s discuss how this should show itself in our lives. Keep in mind that the truth of the antithesis says “Don’t do this” but the antithesis also says “This is what you must do!”
A. In Our Personal Relationships
- [Don’t Do This]
a. When we live antithetically what kind of people will NOT be our friends? (Use the above Scriptures in your answer).
b. What is to be our relationship with co-workers who show in their lives that they are ungodly?
2. [Do This]
a. When we live antithetically what kind of friends will we seek?
b. When we live antithetically what kind of a husband/wife will we seek?
c. When we live antithetically what kind of a church will we seek to be a member of?
B. In Our Entertainment
- [Don’t Do This]
a. Living antithetically, what kind of entertainment will we definitely NOT seek and engage in? (See Galatians 5:19-21). What’s so wrong with it? What are the spiritual snares prevalent in popular entertainment?
b. Do you think it is becoming easier or more difficult for the Christian to entertain himself living in this world?
2. [Do This] The Christian may entertain himself. But it must be proper entertainment!
a. What are some practical guidelines for determining the sorts of entertainment that the Christian may enjoy, and which would mean that he is living antithetically? (Incorporate into your answer the following Scriptures: Philippians 4:8-9, Ephesians 5:6-9, Galatians 5:22-26).
b. In light of the above guidelines and Scripture passages, make a list of activities that could definitely be classified as “Christian entertainment.”
III. Other Questions For Consideration
- What does our love for God have to do with the antithesis? Do you think it would be possible to live the antithesis without the grace of God in our hearts?
- What are some of the ways to overcome the difficulties of antithetical living?
- How can we encourage each other as young people to live antithetically?
- How does the teaching of common grace lead to a breakdown of the antithesis?
- What is our calling when we see that our friends/family members are not walking an antithetical lifestyle?