This photograph was made in the Dutch royal palace (Noordeinde), The Hague, on February 7, 1926, the day that Queen Wilhelmina was married 25 years with Prince Hendrik van Mecklenburg-Schwerin. Their daughter, Princes Juliana is the mother of the recent Queen of The Netherlands, Beatrix.
The Prince died in 1934; the Queen in 1962. During the five years of World War II, when The Netherlands was occupied by the armies of Nazi Germany, she lived in and governed in London and was known as the “mother of the Resistance” (the underground movement which tried to protect and save people sought by the S.S. fanatics of Hitler; especially the Jews, but also Christian ministers and politicians in hiding). She gave spiritual and moral support to all those who had fled and escaped to London, leaving behind everything, willing to fight for the liberation of The Netherlands. Out of them a “Princes Irene Brigade” was formed, which became part of the Allied forces who landed in 1944 in Normandy, France, under General Eisenhower. As soon as the southern part of The Netherlands was free again, she went back and stayed in Tilburg, till the rest of the country became free on May 5, 1945.
On May 12, 1948 she stepped down from the throne and her daughter Juliana became Queen. She then went to live in the palace “Het Loo” in Apeldoorn in the eastern part of the country.
They all were strictly State Reformed. Queen Wilhelmina had her own “in house” palace minister. (He blessed the marriage of Princes Juliana in the Jacobs Church in The Hague.)